Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Word Wednesday

Here is your word for the day!  Hopefully you won't find it too strange . . .

Excruciating [ik-skroo-shee-ey-ting]:  1. Extremely painful; causing intense suffering; unbearably distressing; torturing.  2. Exceedingly elaborate or intense; extreme.

There is a reason as to why I picked this word.  For awhile, I was in the habit of using this word quite often.  However, I used it in ways that other people wouldn't (i.e. excruciatingly happy).  People would pause and give me a strange look.  So, I don't know if that is really the correct use of it or not.  Nevertheless, I will more than likely use it to describe things other than pain.  :)



2 comments:

  1. Well, according to the second definition, it does look like it would be a proper usage. We're just used to the first definition, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excruciatingly happy you chose this word! ;) It's not a word I would usually use in the context of something favorable but I guess it works.I'll have to keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete