Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My Little Friend

I got the idea for this little story today and couldn't resist posting it. I hope you like it! It is not exactly a true story though some details are taken from real life.




She was the type of girl who would do anything for you. In her turn, even though she was red-headed and freckled, deep loving brown eyes made her nearly irresistible. 

I first met my little friend the October shortly after we moved to a new house. Praying for a new best friend I immediately recognized her as my answer and we formed a deep friendship. We never said much, her and I. There wasn’t the need, was just always understood each other. As we grew up, I began to drift away from her, pulling off into the world of the grown-ups and she, who was several years younger, could not follow. Sometimes, I would see a look of sad reproach in her beautiful eyes and I would return, apologize and try to pick up where I had left off but our relationship was never the same. There was a sad gap that no bridge could span. 

For years my little friend remained faithful. I would see her head appear in the kitchen window and she would invite me on a walk outside. But other things called and I usually declined. I didn’t even notice when the offers came less and less until finally she had vanished nearly all together. 

One day I decided I would like to walk but she was gone! Then the realization hit me. I had pushed my dear friend away! Frantically I began a flurried search and finally found her at the neighbors. I apologized and as always she quickly forgave me. We went home and after playing in the yard a little I sat down and invited her to come sit with me. “I promise to spend more time with you in the future.” I stroked her red head. She looked up at me, smiled, and wagged her tail. I pulled one floppy ear lightly, “Good dog!”

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm...that reminds me of this story... http://larkwriters.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-wait.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought you were talking about a red-headed girl for a moment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faith, you are right. It is a similar story. Sorry, I didn't mean to plagiarize. :)

    Grace, I'm glad you thought that! It means I did a good job obscuring the truth! :)

    ReplyDelete