Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tip Tuesday - Alliteration Preparation

Sometime after suggesting to Hope that she should write a story about spring, the sky here started spitting ginormous snowflakes... Oh, well... it did remind me of this poem:

Wintry waters wake the world,
With hardly e'er a sound.
They whisper words of peaceful hope,
Descending, hushing, down.

Flutter, flip and softly spin,
They spiral toward the earth.
Gaze outside your frosted panes,
For sky has given birth.

This leads me to our topic for Tip Tuesday - Alliteration! I know most of you are probably familiar with this word and despise it because it goes right along with poetry....but...I didn't have any other ideas for Tip Tuesday, and I thought it would be fun to have an alliteration contest. Just in case you don't remember, alliteration is the repetition of the same consonant sound within a word group. For example, "Wintry waters wake the world, with hardly e'er a sound." or you might remember the famous tongue twister, "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers." As you can see, alliteration adds a fun little spice to your words. 

So...let's practice! Here are your guidelines: Choose a consonant sound. Construct a sentence using as many words as you can with that consonant sound. Put in the comments. The sentence must make sense, and points will not be received for simply a repetition of letters. It must be the sound. For example, "jelly giant" counts, but "climate change" does not. The sentence with the most alliteration wins! This is just meant to be fun, so don't stress about it :) I'll try to do it, too, since there are only four of us.


12 comments:

  1. Hmmm that is going to take some time and preparation...I'll have to get back with you on that.

    Oh, and by the way, maybe I'm the odd one out but I like poetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I guess I thought you didn't care for it much...Maybe just because no one ever posts it. Anyway, you're not the odd one out because I like poetry too (Well, I guess I should say, it depends on the poetry).

      Delete
    2. I thought I was the odd one out :)

      Delete
    3. I don't post it because I can't write it. But I do like reading it and making up badly patterned rhymes for myself. ;)

      Delete
    4. Well, maybe I should post more of mine then. I just thought no one cared for it :)

      Delete
  2. Alright, how's this? I'm not sure I'm fully pleased with it.

    Songs sung so sweetly, submerge sleepy senses, soothing slumbering siblings.

    It makes sense to me but I wrote it so I am perfectly aware of what I was trying to say.

    That was quite the vocabulary exercise! I had to pull out my trusty thesaurus...er Thesaurus.com. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's mine: We went with Willie Whitman, where windy waters whirl, wearing wild whale wetsuits with water warming wigs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this a true story?

      Delete
    2. Uh, no. Never knew a Willie Whitman probably never will, but I thought is sounded cool :)

      Delete
    3. I was particularly wondering about the wetsuits and wigs...they sound useful-ish. ;D

      Delete
    4. Unfortunately, I just made them up...

      Delete