Sunday, March 23, 2014

Belief that Saves (Josie's Testimony)

    Like Grace and Hope, I was blessed to be brought up in a God fearing family.  I made a profession of faith at the age of three.  I had a deep fear of going to hell and one night I asked my Pa what I could do to go to heaven.  He led me through several scriptures and helped me pray that night.  I think, though, like so many who make professions when so young, I did not fully understand what it meant to be saved.
    One of the first times I had doubts, so to speak, was one fall when my sisters were heading off to college again.  In a note my sister had left me, she said something to the effect that she always enjoyed being around me, knowing that my cheerfulness came from knowing Jesus.  That made me stop and think.  Was it really because of Jesus that I was happy most of the time?  Was He the source of my joy?  The question simmered in the back of my mind for several years.
    Then came the year when my oldest two sisters got married and my other two sisters left for college, all within the space of three months.  I went from being surrounded by four sisters to being the only child at home.  It was an awful time of adjusting to loneliness, and I realized that my source of joy was not Jesus, but my family.  Without my sisters, I became gloomy and despondent, and nothing was fun anymore.  I struggled with my attitude and longed to be close to Jesus, but I didn't know how to start.  Finally, in February of the next year, I broke down and had a long, serious talk with my parents.  I came away with a fresh understanding of the gospel, and recommitted my life to Jesus that night.  One of the verses that especially helped me through this time of doubting was James 2:19, "You believe that God is one.  You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder."  Salvation isn't just believing that God exists.  For so long, I had thought, "I believe in God; that's means I'm saved and will go to heaven."  No, it is not enough just to believe that God exists!  Instead, saving faith is believing that God sent His Son to die for YOU, and putting your faith and trust in Him; believing that He will save you, and nothing else!  I really like that verse, because it finally cleared up for me the difference between mere belief and saving belief, if that makes sense.
    Since that time, I have been growing in my faith, and am constantly amazed by God's amazing provision and lovingkindness, and how He answers my prayers in ways that I would have never imagined!  Ephesians 3:20-21, "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever.  Amen."

3 comments:

  1. Wow Josie! Thank you so much for sharing. I had a time where I convinced myself that was a Christian simply because I believed God existed. That verse about demons also believing and shuddering captures it pretty well though. It's not believing that he is real that saves you. Thanks for the post! It has really encouraged me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank you for sharing! I love the last verse. It's special to me due to a story I'll save for a little later :) You reminded me of something I wrote about a year ago. I'll have to post it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to what this verse reminded you of! =)

      Delete