Thursday, July 31, 2014

Devotion - "Your prayers must be really powerful."

Last night, as I was reading a book called The Invitation by Rhonda Calhoun, a couple particular lines struck me. Rebekah and Hadassah, two sisters, are in the midst of a spiritual battle. The elder sister, Rebekah, begins to pray, and the spiritual atmosphere changes. Observing the change, Hadassah speaks up. "Your prayers must be really powerful."

"On the contrary," her sister replies. "The Life-Giver must be really powerful."

This struck me because I often like to think that my prayers are doing something. I like to feel as if I've completed some wonderful, spiritual task, and as a result of my prayers, someone is saved or blessed. However, that is such a wrong attitude! If anything becomes of my prayers, if anyone is blessed, it is because God chose to do so. It is His power, not mine at work. To Him belongs all glory and praise for ever and ever, amen.

Of course, I'm not saying our prayers aren't any good. The Bible does tell us that the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective (See James 5:16). But we must remember this is only because our Powerful God hears them and acts on our behalf.

2 comments:

  1. I just typed that verse on Scripture Typer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've got that one too. That's why it came to mind :-)

      Delete