Saturday, July 19, 2014

Devotion - A Changing, Spinning World

Change. A scary word that's just around the corner for me. I've never like that word, probably never will, and the world is full of it. Some people crave it like chocolate. Others thrive on it. I, on the other hand, run from it. 

But I don't want to anymore. I'm tired of running. Suddenly today it hit me. I'm ready for change. I'm ready for college. I still may not like it at first, but I am ready for it. Ready for a "new" me, one who embraces the changes that God wants to make in me.

It seems to me that our Heavenly Father likes change. 2 Corinthians 5:17 says, "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come!" He continually calls people to Him so he can turn them from their old way of living to a new. Also, in Revelation 21, He tells us that He is "making all things new." New means change, and we can certainly trust that it is for the better in God's hands!

The awesome part about all this, is that despite the changes God is continually making in our hearts and lives, He gives us the assurance about some things that will never change: Him, His word, and His love. Even when the world is changing a hundred miles per hour, God stands firm. He is our rock and refuge when everything is spinning (Psalm 18:2). He will never leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13:5), and Christ is the same yesterday and today and tomorrow (Hebrews 13:8). Because God never changes, neither will His word or His love. If you have any doubts about his love, just read Psalm 136. "His love endures forever," is repeated 26 times!

Change is good and doesn't have to be scary, but at the same time, we've got to hold on to the eternal. That way, when we change, we will change not with the spinning world, but toward our Heavenly, Eternal Father.



1 comment:

  1. That's a good way to look at it Grace. Change can be a good thing if it drives us to the One who does not change but is the same today, yesterday and forever!

    ReplyDelete