Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Guardian - Part 4



The King swooped down upon him before he could make another move. Paul bowed low, fear trembling his body. Now the King would strike him, imprison him, maybe even hang him. He'd never believed Paul all along. The crowd held their breaths in expectation. But nothing happened. Maybe the King was waiting for him to speak?

“Your Majesty, I swear, once again, I never opened the case or gave the sword to anyone. I don't understand it in light of the ancient law, but I beg of you, believe me. If there is anything I can do to prove -” Paul felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up to see the King, his brown eyes twinkling.

“Oh, Paul, I never once doubted you.”

“Y-you didn't? I mean, you believe me?”

The King smiled, nodding his bearded chin.

Paul collapsed in disbelief. “Oh … I – b-but how?”

The King extended a hand and pulled Paul to his feet. “The sword was never given to you, Paul.”

“What?”

“The case was empty when my father gave it to you.” The King's gaze swept the room now, his voice raising to keep their attention. “Think, all of you. Why would a king bestow the whole power of the kingdom upon a commoner he had never met? He had no need to hide the sword from raiders who couldn't steal it or wield it.”

“Then why give me the case and key?”

“A test.” The King spun around, mounting the stage. “Every King desires subjects he can trust. Men he can appoint as rulers, advisers, counselors, and -” He let his words hang for a minute and motioned for Paul to come forward. “... and friends.” He put an arm around him. “Paul, you have passed the test. I hereby appoint you chief officer and general of my men.”

Paul's face turned crimson, and he eyed the ground. “Your Majesty, I don't deserve...”

The King gripped his shoulder. “Yes, you do.” His eyes had not yet lost its twinkle. “This man,” he addressed the crowd again. “Since he was only a boy, hid my father's key and sword, telling no one of it's whereabouts. He himself never opened the case, respecting the man who entrusted it to him. If he had, he would have known it was empty, and when I faced him with the unknown fact, he didn't invent clever stories to get himself out of the mess, but vowed to find it. Listen and learn. Men like him are ones I desire in my court.”

The King removed the purple cloak from around his neck and flung it around Paul's shoulders. The crowd erupted into cheers. Paul's chest swelled with pride, but something deep inside still urged him to speak up. When the noise from people faded, he cleared his throat. “But your Majesty, how do you have the sword? You said it was given to someone besides it's rightful owner.”

“My older brother. My father gave the sword to him, to reconquer our kingdom, but my brother had evil intentions. A higher evil had been messing with his mind, and he was tricked into passing the sword on to another, more evil than he.”

“Then how did you get it?” Carlos spoke up now, doubt underlying in his tone.

“Everyone has some good in them. Repentance is not far off for most.”

Awe rippled through the audience. Murmurs of, “Isn't he wonderful?” resounded through the room.


Paul, too, was in awe as he accompanied the King outdoors, the crowd following close behind him. It was time for the meeting in the square. Already large numbers had gathered around the central fountain, awaiting the King. Paul spotted his family not far off. Lissa's eyes widened when she spotted him. How would he explain this all to her? Surely she would believe him now. Yes, all would be restored, including peace in his family. Yet, as Paul took his stand beside the King, something tugged deep within him again. Something wasn't right. Something wasn't adding up, but he couldn't put his finger on it. The feeling was just there, sitting in his gut. Shaking his head, Paul pushed all doubt to the side. For now, it was time to rejoice.


_____________________________________________________________________


Sorry, this still isn't the last part, but I do plan to post it this week. Your feedback has been very helpful, and I finally found the inspiration I needed.

So tell me now, how do you feel about the King? What about Paul?

Don't worry, I won't be asking these questions again after this.  :)


5 comments:

  1. I think I like Paul better than I did, but in all honesty, I don't trust the king...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for inspiration!

    I'm definitely liking Paul. I think he makes an excellent character, and I'm looking forward to see what will happen to him.

    As for the King... That _one comment_ that he made has made me decide he isn't the king at all. "'Think, all of you. Why would a king bestow the whole power of the kingdom upon a commoner he had never met? He had no need to hide the sword from raiders who couldn't steal it or wield it.'" I see that this post is tagged in "Allegorical," which definitely implies that the King in this story, would be THE King, and I'm not sure that's a comment that THE King would make.
    And, that he mentioned "an older brother" whom the sword was given to. I'm thinking (of course, I might be way off here...) that the fellow going as the king here isn't the King, but is instead the older brother. My theory is that Micah is the real King.
    Then again, I might be totally wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would tell you whether you are right or not, but that might ruin the next part :)

      Delete
    2. An easy solution to that would be to post the next part now. :p Or tomorrow. Tomorrow works, too.

      Delete
    3. I'm almost done. Don't worry :)

      Delete