Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Yellow Letter


I opened the mailbox and pulled out the crisp letters. Flipping through them out of curiosity I saw one addressed to me! My heart leapt. I never got mail except for those flaky cards that came every year around my birthday. But this chill November day was not near my birthday and this stickered envelope didn’t hold a card.

Eagerly I tore the envelope open with my cold fingers. Inside were two sheet of paper, one of normal notebook paper and the other of yellow construction paper. I opened the yellow one first.

“Dear Hope,                                                                             November 15, 2007
            Howdy! How are you doing? I am doing good! Do you like this paper? I hope you do! It is just construction paper…”

A car drove past spattering me with mud from the soggy road. Maybe I should go inside, I thought. But first I really wanted to see who these letters were from. I flipped over the envelope and looked at the return label.

“Hope! Have you gotten the mail yet? Hurry, it’s almost time for lunch!” my Mom called hurriedly from the house.

I shoved the letter in my pocket. It would have to wait until later.

Now, five years later I sit here looking at that very letter. Beneath it is a large pile of others from the same girl. I All these years later I still keep up with my pen-pal, having written her through part of grade school, middle school, high school and even now, college. Since I have only met her twice that I can remember I think it is very surprising we have kept in such good touch.

To Josie, one of the two most faithful and long lasting pen-pals I have ever had (the other is her sister), God bless and a VERY, VERY happy birthday today!!

2 comments:

  1. oops...I accidental posted this a day too early...today is actually Josie's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Hope!
    You've been pretty much the most faithful pen-pal I've ever had, too... Thank you for your friendship!

    ReplyDelete