Sunday, September 9, 2012

How Dare You Stay Calm!

Here is a story I scribbled nearly three years ago.  I say scribbled because I really put no thought into it; I was just writing for the fun of it.  It has some blatant grammatical errors, but I decided to post it as is...
Oh, and even though there is an 'I' in this story, it is not a true story.  Some of the events were inspired by real life happenings, but some I made up.

    It all started one morning in late January.  Eight inches of powdery snow had fallen the night before, and the sun shone brightly on it, nearly blinding me as I stepped outside.  I started to place one foot out into the snow and shuddered as I felt how soft the snow was.  If I stepped out of the comforting safety of the garage I would surely sink into snow knee-deep!  And who knew what all was hidden under that innocent cover of snow!
    After considering my options, I grabbed a hefty shovel and fought my way through the snow towards the barn.  Finally I reached the barn and momentarily set aside my weapon to wrestle the old rusty door open.  It squeaked loudly in protest as I shoved it open.  A beam of sunlight fell across the dirt packed floor, reflecting off the metal dog food dish and nearly blinding me again.  I swung my shovel up to cover my eyes and knocked myself in the head.
    When I recovered, I stomped through the barn doing my chores.
    The dog ran hyper circles around me, bouncing and barking his ears off.  (Well, nearly so anyway.)  I managed to finish my duties despite his rambunctious activity and climbed the ladder to the loft to see why the cats weren’t venturing out into the snow yet.
    They were all still sleeping soundly.  Typical cat behavior.  I lowered the makeshift elevator.  There was a pop!  It was a weasel!
    Barker (the dog) boarded the elevator and I hauled him up.
    “Get them cats up, Barker!”  I yelled.  Barker yelped happily and charged the cats.  They jumped and hissed and when they were done acting brave they scattered into their favorite hiding places.
    Barker looked up at me, panting happily as if to say, “I did a good job, didn’t I?”  I congratulated him and gave him his favorite treat before making my way back to the house through the more than knee-deep drifts of snow.  Barker bounced up and down beside me, never running out of energy.
    As we neared the house, I heard the sound of frantic voices break the calm stillness of the morning.  Barker and I raced towards the house, snow flying behind us.
    I burst through the door and kicked my boots off, one hitting the ceiling above and the other flying off into some dark corner.
    As I climbed the stairs I could distinguish some of what was being said (or rather, yelled).
    “How DARE you stay calm?!?  A terrible disaster has just occurred and you’re just standing there!  Do something!  Don’t just stand there!  HELP!”
    I flew up the remainder of the stairs, trying to prepare myself for whatever tragedy lay waiting for me.
    I turned the corner.  Another set of stairs loomed ahead, seeming to glare maliciously at me.  I fought my way up the slippery steps, gasping for breath as I wondered who had shined the floor with grease!  The stairs seemed as though they would never end.  It was like a dream; running as fast as you can and getting nowhere.  I was getting desperate.  Something terrible had happened and they needed me!  I leaned forward with one last surge of energy, heard a loud snap and felt as though I was flying through the air.  Suddenly I was at the top of the stairs, sprawled face down on the cold wooden floor.  I leapt up and banged through the kitchen door, stopping short.  The sight that met my eyes was one I had never imagined to be the cause of such frantic cries for help.
    Salt and pepper from a broken salt and pepper shaker set was strewn across the floor in disarray.
                    –The End—

4 comments:

  1. Lol!

    I think your story would flow better if you were to work on longer and more involved sentences. As it is they sound rather choppy.

    Nice work! Thanks for this first post of yours Josie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're quite right; my sentences are horrifyingly choppy!

    You're welcome for the first post... sorry it has taken me so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem. Perfectly understandable considering how busy you must be!

      Delete