Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Story of Princess Aidle


This is my most recent story. I wrote it today, (Saturday), when I should have been critiquing one Angela sent me... :z


The Story of Princess Aidle

“Down you foul brute!”

 I whisked my long white train away from the dirty paws of Sir Edward’s mastiff and gritted my teeth as he snarled.

The dog was snarling dangerously and I new from past experience I had better find a tree, and fast. I shot a hurried look at my surroundings desperately trying to remember what they looked like. I had been over every foot of this large estate and knew it by heart but that was during the day. It was night time now and I was almost completely lost. A ghostly set of branches held out there talons to me not twenty feet away. It was their claws or this foaming beast’s. I through my train over my arm, hiked my dress up, and ran for it.  The dog snarled at my heals but he was old and fat while I was young and strong and I felt the branches dig into my hands before his teeth had a chance. One of my tiny heals got stuck in an elbow as I tried to climb further away from the gaping jaws and I felt a sharp pain go through my ankle.

The dog lay down directly beneath me and appeared to go to sleep. My legs dangled off either side of a thick branch above him and when I shifted one he quickly raised his head. No hope then of getting past him while he was asleep. I waited and waited. Who would have guessed that a person like I was would ever be in a position such as I was?
           
The hours dragged by, with the only change being in my position and spirits. The dawn was coming and what would happen then…I didn’t know but likely it wouldn’t be fun.

Just as the sun was casting it’s pink and red streamers across the sky a whistle sounded shrilly and startled me so badly I nearly fell out of the tree.  The massive creature below me sat up and listened.

Wonderful! His master would call him away and I would get my chance for escape.

The whistle came again, louder this time and I could hear a frightening voice calling “Here boy! Here Ratzic! Here boy!”

The dog began barking but to my annoyance stayed at the bottom of the tree.  A set of powerful shoulders appeared above the hill behind me and a glowering continence soon presented itself below my branch.

“Aha! I have caught you at last!” The brown eyes danced in triumph. “You know, I was just thinking the other day how I needed a girl to scrub my floors and cook my food.”

“No!” I struggled as he grabbed my foot and began pulling me down. “You can’t make someone with noble blood in them do such menial work! Take your hands off me!”

~
           
“What are you up there writing Aidle?” my brother, Eddy, called to me from below the leaves, his Pekinese, Rat, bounced happily around his feet barking.  “Are you trying to hide or something? I’ve been looking for you all over and if it hadn’t been for Rat here I still would have been.”

“Um…” I looked sheepishly over the top of my writing notebook at him.
           
“Come on down. You know it is time for us to do the mopping and sitting up there moping like a princess whose asked to scrub a floor,”  I glanced at him sharply,  “won’t get it done and over with any time soon.”

5 comments:

  1. And you complain about my stories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't leave you hanging! Don't you see it was her imagining so she could feel like a martyr for having to mop floors?

      Delete
    2. Speaking of leaving people hanging-when are you going to finish "Gone"?

      Delete
  2. You set me up for an exciting story, and then you end it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose I can take this all as positive feed back? In other words my story was good enough that you wished it to keep going? ;)

    ReplyDelete