Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A Few Poems

Recently I had to create a bunch of poetry for my writing course. In honor of Grace, who in a recent discussion said she actually likes poetry too, I thought I would post some of them.

First assignment: pick a season and right a line describing that season using each sense.

Spring:
Green grass and colorful flowers.
Happy birds chirping.
Fluffy fur of baby animals.
Freshly picked tomatoes (here my Mom corrected me. Tomatos aren't ripe in the spring.)
Renewing rain.
A fresh new Spring!

So after that project I was thoroughly disgusted with poetry. It didn't rhyme, it didn't even flow well and it sounded silly!

Next I had do describe a color using all five senses.

Blue:
Blue looks like deep clear sky.
Blue feels like slick satin.
Blue smells like the ocean. (which I wouldn't know having never been to the ocean!)
Blue sounds like the water gently lapping against a rock.
Blue taste like blueberries.

I was not impressed with my handy work. It was too impressionistic. Blue doesn't taste, it doesn't feel, it doesn't smell!

Then, I learned a different pattern.

The Mountain:

It's so high I feel dizzy.
Compared I look tiny.
I smell trees and clean, clear air.
The wind
Whispers secrets of lofty places.
I can taste the sky.
The mountain
Makes me feel awake and alive.

It still didn't rhyme but I was beginning to like poetry much better. I decided, next time, even though I didn't have to, I would make it rhyme. The next assignment involved impersonating something that was not alive.

I Am the Wind:

I a m the wind,
merry and gay.
I make everything dance
That comes in my way.

I love to whistle 
When I feel sublime.
As with great energy
Mountains I climb.


It's a little awkward but I was quite pleased with myself!

The last assignment I had to impersonate something, but not tell what "I" was until the end of the poem. And it had to be freeverse.

I write these strange words.
And am forced to copy imaginative sentences.
I wish I could make my poor words rhyme.
I would rather dance in some recognizable pattern.
But sadly, I cannot control myself.
I can only follow commands,
Because I am....?

What am I? Can you guess?

5 comments:

  1. A hand?

    I like the wind one too, by the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would certainly work but that was not what I had the answer being. It's not connected to your body.

      Delete
    2. Basically. I intended it be a pencil but a pen is pretty much the same thing.

      Delete