Monday, January 20, 2014

The Aldridges and the Indians Part 5 - Final!

 All righty, here is the last part of the story I was posting before we took our break!  =)

The next morning at breakfast Inga decided it was time to bring up her request.
    “Aunt Rena,” She began.
    “Yes, child? What is it?” Aunt Rena looked up from her plate of “rich food”, as Inga had come to call it.
    “I-I was just wondering....” Inga paused slightly and Aunt Rena jumped in.   
    “Elisabeth, must you stutter so? It’s quite unbecoming of you. If you have something to say, say it without hesitation.” Aunt Rena instructed.
    “Yes, ma’am. I was wondering if I could go back home.” Inga said quickly and louder than necessary.
    “My hearing is not impaired, Elisabeth. You needn’t speak so loudly. Go home? Is it just because I asked you not to stutter?” 
    “No, Aunt Rena! Quite not. I’m just missing my family, that’s all. I didn’t realize this was going to be an extended visit. Well, I guess I didn’t know how long I’d be here, but I certainly didn’t think it’d be this long, and I have been feeling rather homesick of late. It’s not that I don’t like England or anything; on the contrary, your home is to be spoken of with high regard, as well as the care I have received during my stay, extended though it may have been. So it is with utmost hope that I request this, that you may understand my reasons and consent.” Inga concluded.   
    “My goodness, child! Such a speech! It sounds as though you are requesting to be released from prison!”
    “Oh, no, nothing like that, dear aunt --”
    “Elisabeth, I wasn’t finished, and I don’t intend to hear another of your pleading speeches. Your request is granted. When do you wish to leave?” Aunt Rena asked.
    “Oh, as soon as possible!” Inga exclaimed eagerly, then caught herself. “Ah, whenever it is convenient for you.... It’s not a hurry.”
    “Very well. I became aware of the fact that the train for the United States leaves tomorrow morning. Would it suit you to leave then?”
    “Oh, yes, aunt. I will be ready and waiting.”    
    “Very good. Go on now, one of the maids will help you pack.”
    “Oh, if it’s all right with you, I’d just as soon pack on my own.”
    “As you wish, Elisabeth.” And so the two departed.   Inga ran up the stairs and into her room, grabbing up her suitcase and stuffing her nearest belongings into it with a flourish. So excited was she to pack, it was quite a sloppy ordeal, and one of the maids had to repack later that evening when Inga was in bed.      
    The next morning Aunt Rena’s chauffeur drove Inga in one of the finer carriages to the train depot. Soon Inga was aboard after the farewells had been exchanged. She felt a tingle of excitement as the train started up and chugged down the tracks toward the dock, where she would board a ship to continue her journey home.
                ________
Back in Kansas, Benjamin and Caleb were heading down to Uncle Red Deer’s teepee when Eliphelet came running up to them. 
    “Say, Benji, Caleb, you want to take that pig back?” Eliphelet asked.
    “How come, Phelet?” Benjamin asked, using Eliphelet’s nickname that they’d given him.
    “’Cause Shua and Hama have been making me and Eli take care of it. They don’t care one bit about it.” Phelet complained.
    “Aw, that’s too bad, Phelet. Ah, I have an idea! Have you seen an extra cow or dog around these parts lately?” Caleb asked, grinning with an idea.
    “Maybe. Why?” Phelet asked suspiciously.
    “Because I was wonderin,’ that’s why. But if you tell us where those two animals are, maybe Benji and I can help ya’ll take care o’ that ol’ pig o’ yours.” Caleb explained.
    “Hmmm..... How come you want to know?”
    “Because they’re ours, and we haven’t seen ‘em since we got here.” Caleb said.
    “Ah! How about if I find them and return them, you take over complete responsibility of the pig?” Phelet bargained.
    “Nope! Not good enough. It’s your family’s pig, you’ve gotta take care of most of it. Just show us where that cow and dog are being stowed away.”
    “Well, I think they’re planing on eatin’ that dog soon.” Phelet said.
    “Nuh uh! I haven’t seen one dog bein’ ate since we’ve been here, and that’s been a long time. You’re just trying to scare us.”
    “Oh, all right already! Follow me.” And the three youngsters trooped down the path away from the teepees.
                ___________
    “Anika, Anika!” The call rang out as Ma was doing the wash a few days later. Grandmother Tia was running swiftly towards her.
    “What is it? Is something wrong?” Ma asked.
    “I don’t know, there’s a wagon coming!” Grandmother Tia exclaimed. “Are you expecting someone?”
    “No, I don’t think so.   I wonder who it could be!” Ma gathered the laundry and together they hurried back to the teepees.
    “There, you see?” Grandmother Tia pointed to a wagon slowly approaching.
    “Do you suppose we should get the men?” Ma asked.
    “I don’t think so. There’s just one wagon.”   Grandmother reasoned. Ma nodded. Soon the children had gathered around, and by then the wagon was stopping in front of them. A young lady jumped out of the back and ran towards them. It was Inga!
    “Inga! You’re home!” Adah was the first to speak, running and surrounding Inga in an embrace. “You didn’t tell us you were coming!” Adah said in delight as the others crowded around.
    “It was a surprise!” Inga said, laughing.
    “Well, you certainly surprised us!” Ma laughed.  
    “Ah, good, I wouldn’t want my surprise to be ruined!” Laughed Inga. “Where’s Papa?”
    “He and some of the others went hunting.”
    “Ah, fresh meat for supper! Sounds good!” Inga smiled.
    “Really? I thought you might be missing fancy food!” Ma chuckled.
    “Nope. I’m ready to be an Indian again! I’ve had enough of fancy life!” Inga laughed. “And am I ever glad to be called by my real name again!”
    Ma looked at her questionably but when Inga didn’t elaborate decided it wasn’t of importance.
    “Well, come, you must be tired from your trip. You can rest until supper.” Ma said.
    “Ah, I’d rather not. I’m tired of being pampered, I want to do something useful!” Inga said with an exaggerated sigh. They all laughed as they headed towards the teepees with Miss Piggy trailing after them.

                THE END!

2 comments: