Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Jarginson Family Saga part 6

Several days later, when Lizzie was 100 or more miles away from her foster home, she was getting the wagon bed ready for the night when she heard footsteps in the clearing.
    “He--hello? Who’s there?” Lizzie cried out. The footsteps stopped, and Lizzie began to tremble.
    “Helloooo! Who’s there? I know someone’s over there!” Lizzie called into the night. A small voice answered.                       
    “I’m just a little boy---don’t harm me!” A small boy appeared out of the shadows. As he came closer, Lizzie thought he looked familiar.
    “What is your name?” Lizzie asked softly.
    “Archie.” He said. Lizzie stared at him.
    “Archie? Archie!” Lizzie cried, hugging the little boy.
    “Oh, little Archie!”
    “Liz--Lizzie?” Archie asked timidly.
    “Yes, Archie dear, I’m Lizzie!” Lizzie cried, hugging Archie again.
    “What are you doing way out here, Archie?” Lizzie asked, over joyed to see her little brother again.
    “My new foster home-- it was attacked by Indians-- and Papa Jonas and Mama Rose were killed, and so was little Rachel, their new baby. I was the only one left, and I ran away from the house before the Indians saw me. Then someone found me and helped me locate James and Annie’s new parents. They are doing good, and I got to see them! Now we know where everyone is--except for Sadie and Nellie! Lizzie, we’ve got to find them, and go home!” Archie was crying now.
    “Oh, Archie. You’re right, we do need to find everyone, and get all eight of us home again. Oh, how I wish that Papa and Mama were still here!” Lizzie cried softly, cuddling little Archie.
    “Well, Arch, let’s be on our way. Here’s some bread and milk, and here’s some blueberries that I picked along the trail.” Lizzie said, handing Archie his supper.
    “Thank you, Lizzie. I’m so glad that I found ya!” Archie said, gobbling up his supper. Then Lizzie handed him 2 of the rest of the cookies that she had bought at the last town.
    Then she made another pallet on the wagon bed floor and they fell asleep, ready for the next day to come. They traveled on the next morning. When they neared the next town, Lizzie noticed that this was the town that Nellie had been picked.
    “Archie, guess what, we might see Nellie here!” Lizzie said happily. Archie smiled.
    Towards afternoon, Lizzie spotted a group of girls talking and playing.
    “Archie, let’s go over there.” Lizzie said, jumping down from the wagon and tying the horses to the post. Then she helped Archie down and they walked over to the girls.
    “Hello, girls!” Lizzie said friendly.
    “Oh, hey! Are you new to town?” An 11 year old girl asked.
    “Actually, my brother and I are just traveling, and we stopped by in this town to visit someone, if we can. My name is Lizzie Jarginson, and this is Archie. Do you have any idea where Nellie Jarginson lives now?” Lizzie asked.
    “Oh, you mean Nellie Johnson? I know where she lives! Oh, my name is Clara.” The girl said.   
    “Yes, Nellie Johnson, I guess. Well, is this Nellie adopted? And was her other last name Jarginson?” Lizzie asked.
    “Oh, yes, all of that is right. Are you related?” Clara asked.
    “Yes,” Lizzie said.
    “Oh, I’ll go get her now!” Clara said, trotted off.
Minutes later, a tall, golden headed girl came up with Clara.
    “Nellie?” Lizzie asked.
    “Yes.” Nellie said, not knowing who Lizzie or Archie were yet. Archie beamed happily, knowing that they had found Nellie, too.
    “Nellie, don’t ya remember me, Lizzie? Archie is here, too!” Lizzie said. Nellie stared at them and then burst into tears.
    “Oh, Nellie, what’s wrong?” Lizzie asked, hugging Nellie tightly.
    “I’m so happy that I had to cry-- I’ve missed you so! Oh, Lizzie, Archie!” Nellie said. Lizzie smiled at her and Archie hugged her, too.
    “Come meet my foster parents, Lizzie, Archie!” Nellie said, taking both of their hands and skipping along the street. Lizzie and Archie skipped along with her.
    “Nellie, Nellie!” A young lady was calling.
    “That’s Mama Beth!” Nellie cried, running to the young lady.
    “Nellie, who is this? They look so much like you, Nellie!” Mama Beth said.
    “Mama Beth, these are 2 of the sisters and brothers I have told you all about! Elizabeth, known as Lizzie, is 13, and Archie is 7!” Nellie was saying happily.
    “Well, howdy do, Elizabeth and Archie!” Mama Beth said.
    “Mama Beth, can they come inside?” Nellie asked, still holding onto Lizzie and Archie.
    “Of course they can come in, come on in, Nellie, Papa Bart is home, too.” Mama Beth was saying. So Nellie led the way into the house.
    Once they were all in the living room, Lizzie explained why they were here.
    “Well, you see, we plan to find where our siblings are living for the time being, and when we all are together, we would like to live together again, until someone is willing to take all of us in. But, as we’ve heard, 2 of our siblings, James and Annie, have already been legally adopted, so there’s only six of us now. What we wondered, is Nellie adopted yet?” Lizzie asked.
    “No, not yet. We weren’t planing to, either.” Papa Bart said rather stiffly.
    “Now, Bart! Don’t be so silly! But, Lizzie, no, we weren’t planing on adopting Nellie, we are just keeping her until something else happens.” Mama Beth said.
    “Well, it seems that something has happened, Ma’am. If you don’t mind, we’d like to take Nellie with us, since you haven’t adopted her yet.” Lizzie said.
    “That’s fine with me.” Papa Bart said.
    “So we can take Nellie with us?” Lizzie asked hopefully.
    “Well, if Nellie agrees, I suppose.” Mama Beth said.
    “Yeah! Mama Beth, I’ll miss you and Papa Bart, but I’d love to go with my sister and brother!” Nellie said happily. So it was arranged, and the next day, Nellie packed up her things and left the town with Lizzie and Archie.
    Days later, they drove into a town where a train was leaving for a town called: Jopplin, Missouri.
    “We’ve got to some how catch that train! Uncle John and Aunt Eleanor live close to Jopplin, in a city called, Carthage!” Lizzie cried.
    “Oh, yes!” Nellie and Archie agreed. On the day that the train was to leave, Lizzie, Nellie, and Archie were standing on the platform, trying to think of a way to get 3 tickets for the train ride. You see, they only had enough money for 2 tickets.
    Suddenly, a middle aged lady walked up to them
    “Hello, children!” She said cheerfully.
    “Hello, ma’am.” Lizzie said.
    “You need something?” The lady asked.
    “Actually, we are trying to think of a way to get tickets, for we only have enough money for two, and we need three. You see, we must get to Jopplin!” Lizzie said sadly.
    “Oh, my! Well, my dears, I believe I have enough money to pay for one more ticket!” The lady said, going through her purse.
    “Indeed! But, first, you children must tell me, are you trying to run away from this place, or are you on a ‘mission’?” The lady asked.
    “On a ‘mission’ I would say. You see, we are orphans, and our aunt and uncle live close to Jopplin.” Lizzie didn’t say any more.
    “Well, then, I’ll be glad to help you pay for the tickets! My name is Phoebe Jarginson.” The lady said.
    “Jarginson? That’s our last name!” Lizzie said.
    “Oh? Well, may be we will get to know each other some more on the train! Now, come along, let’s get your tickets!” Mrs. Jarginson said cheerfully.
    Once on the train, Lizzie told Mrs. Jarginson the children’s story.
    “My, my!My adopted daughter and you have the same storys!” Mrs. Jarginson said when Lizzie had finished.
    “What is her name?” Lizzie asked.
    “Sadie.” Mrs. Jarginson said.
    “Sa--Sadie?!?!” Lizzie asked.   

3 comments:

  1. Ahh...finally. :)

    By the way, you said something about them making up beds in the bed of the wagon--didn't she sell the wagon and by pack horses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, whoops... I guess I forgot about that! =P Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy!

    ReplyDelete