Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Jarginson Family Saga part 1

Here is a story I wrote probably around 7 years ago... It's really long, so I'll do it in parts, if you want to keep reading it!

THE JARGINSON SISTERS AND BROTHERS

        CHAPTER ONE-- MEET THE JARGINSON FAMILY
    Once upon a time, There lived a little girl whose name was Elizabeth. Nearly everyone called her 'Lizzie.' Her last name was Jarginson. Lizzie was sitting in the large flower garden of the 'Circle C' ranch. It was almost spring in the year of 1910.
Lizzie was resting after a long day of roping calves.
Suddenly, she felt a tug on her overalls. She looked down to see one of her younger sisters, Annie. Annie was 5. She had turned five 2 weeks ago.
    “Hey, Ann!” Lizzie said.
    “Lizzie, Ma wants you.” Annie said, pulling Lizzie to her feet.
    “Oh, all right!” Lizzie laughed as Annie pulled her along.
    “What is it, Ann?” Lizzie asked. Annie ignored her and trotted along the path towards the house, tugging Lizzie along.
Lizzie pried Annie's hand off her arm when they got to the house and charged inside to find Mama standing in the sun room inside the door, all dressed up in her best dress and sun bonnet.
    “Going to town, aye?” Lizzie asked as half a dozen children rounded the corner and came up.
    “Yes, Lizzie, dear. And, there's something else. Your aunt Eleaner is dreadfully sick, and your Papa and I arranged a quick train ride to the country. We are going to take care of her and her children until she is well. Of course, this means that you will have to take care of your younger siblings during the day, since Opal and Emma work.” Mama explained.
    “But, Mama! I'm only 12! And I have so many younger siblings!” Lizzie exclaimed.
    “Lizzie, dear, there's only 5! And, James and Sadie would help too, so that leaves 3 young ones and 3 of you to take care of them.” Mama said.
Opal was 16 and Emma was 14. They both worked part time at the general store about 2 miles from home.
Sadie was 11, James 10, and the younger three were, Nellie, 9, Archie, 6, and Annie, 5, whom you have already met. In all, including Lizzie, there were 8 children.
        CHAPTER TWO-- THE TRAIN WRECK
That day and the next passed without trouble, and Papa and Mama were still on the train.
    “Mary Ann?” Papa said.
    “Hmmm?” Mama asked, waking from her sleep.
    “How many children do John and Eleanor have now?” Papa wondered.
    “Um, five, with the new baby. There's Nora, who's 9, Cara, 7, Daisy, 5, and Candy, 3. And Johnny is the baby.” Mama said. Suddenly, the train jerked to a stop.
    “What was that?” Mama asked.
    “I'm not sure. I'll head to the first car and find out.” Papa said, rising from his seat.
    “All right.” Mama said. She continued her knitting then.
When Papa reached the front car, he questioned the engineer.
    “The tracks stopped suddenly, and it's a cliff. The train is about to topple. I've called through the radio for everyone to get out of the train. You'd best hurry out, too, sir.” The engineer sounded as if this happened every day.
    “Uh, sure.” Papa hurried back to Mama, and just as the first few people jumped out of the train, it rocked, and tumbled helplessly over the cliff. Mama screamed as Papa and she were swept out of the train car door opening and fell the rest of the way down the cliff.
    Meanwhile, the eight children were safe in the farm house. Suddenly, a galloping horse arrived and the man knocked at the door. It was a police officer.
    “Where is Opal?” Sadie whispered.
    “In her bedroom, uh, I'll answer the door.” Emma, trembling, opened the door.
    “Hello, sir, any thing you need?” Emma said.
    “Ah, yes. Mind if I come in? Are all of your siblings here?” The officer asked.
    “Come in, we're all here, except for our parents.” Emma said. The officer seemed to choke and he turned away for a moment.
    “Is there anything wrong, sir?” Emma wondered.
    “Ah, indeed, there is, Miss.” The officer said quietly.
    “Oh, dear.” Emma said.
    “What is wrong, may I ask?” Emma added.
    “Well, can all of your sisters and brothers be here?” The officer asked.
    “Yes, sir. Nellie, go get Opal. The rest of you sit down on the couch. Sir, you may sit down, too, if you would like.” Emma said. Nellie hurried down the hall towards Emma and Opal's bedroom.
Three minutes later, Nellie and Opal came in.
Once every one was seated, the officer spoke.
    “Children, I am sorry to say.........But.. Children, the train that your parents were riding on fell over a cliff. Everyone in the train was killed.” The officer said sadly. The younger ones burst into tears and Opal, Emma and Lizzie stared at the officer, stunned.


8 comments:

  1. That is a terrible way too die!!

    I would be interested in reading further! You better not leave me hanging like that!

    I think you could improve it if you tried combining sentences. Trying to make it run more smoothly instead of short and choppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I meant to say, when I hear the "Adams Family" I think of something I'm pretty sure you would not want to be associated with. If I were you I would change their last name. :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, there is a certain song that comes to my head when I hear that last name....

      Delete
  2. 'kay, I've never heard of the "Adams Family"... sorry! I'll change the last name for posting on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I'm concerned Josie, you don't have to change their name. I didn't have a problem with it I just thought you might not want that association. :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah...
      I like the name Jarginson better anyway, so it was a good excuse to change it! =)

      Delete
  3. Oh, and yes, thank you for pointing out the choppy sentences, Hope! I have a rather bad habit of doing that with my stories. Whoops!

    ReplyDelete