Monday, January 14, 2013

Trust

This is part of a story I started writing the other day, but I stopped liking my idea, so don't expect anymore of it to show up.


    “Oh, sure, trust you!”  I dug my fingers into the pillow I held in my hands.  If my brother didn’t get quiet soon, it was going to go flying at his face.  “Has it ever occurred to you that I don’t trust you?  Remember last month?”

    Luke ran a hand through his hair clearly irritated.  “It was an accident.  How was I supposed to know that part of the cave would collapse?”

    I rolled my eyes.  “Next time do some research.  Everyone I know already knew that that cave was unstable.  But what do you do?  You convince me to go waltzing in there like nothing will happen!  Well, this time you are not going to do it.  I am not going anywhere with you.  That’s final.”  I surged to my feet and ran do the stairs taking them two at a time.  Perhaps this time he would allow me to exit in peace.  I heard a long winded sigh at my back.  Yes, I had hurt his feelings, but at this point I didn’t care.  I plopped down on my bed and angrily toyed with a worn pencil I had left sitting there.  The action soothed my temper.  Luke wasn’t all bad, he just didn’t always think before he acted. 

    “Make that he never think before he acts,” I muttered slipping on my tennis shoes.  Footsteps rung out from the stairway.  He was coming to talk, I wanted none of it.  With deft fingers I unlatched my window and slid it up.  From the second story window, I reached out and grabbed the thick branches of the oak tree that had long been my escape route.  My feet quickly found the familiar branches that guided me to the ground. 

    “Lydia!” my brother glared at me from the window. 

    Smirking I took off running for the woods.  

2 comments: