Friday, January 25, 2013

Anyone Want Some Nuts?

This story is actually based on something that happened to me and my family when we were camping and yes, I know it is short.  Enjoy!  Oh, and here is a pic of that cute little squirrel.






    The jackpot.  I twitched my small nose searching for any scent that those humans were nearby.  Up above me on a table, balanced against the side of a camper, I could see it:  a big can of nuts.  Wait till my friends heard about this.  They would never believe me.  With another glance around I scrabbled up onto the table.  It rocked slightly from my sudden weight.  Head outstretched I waited and watched.  Nothing moved.  I was alone. 

    There it lay in front of me, within my reach.  I paused and sighed, enjoying the moment.  Never in my live had I seen nuts in a container, a clear one at that.  Yet, there they were, waiting for a hungry little squirrel to eat them.  A little squirrel like me. 

    I clicked my teeth together in anticipation then bit down on the corner of the lid.  Humans were so ignorant.  Did they really think they could keep me and my sharp teeth from getting into their food?  I steadily gnawed away as a pile of blue shavings gathered around my feet. 

    The smell of nuts wafted out of the container.  I paused for moment and sniffed.  It smelled so good, so magnificent, so-

    “Shoo!” 

    I whirled, surprised.  So intent I had been on my work I had not seen those hated humans approaching.  One ran towards me, waving its arms.  “Go!  Get out of here!” 

    That’s what I did.  I jumped from the table and ran for the nearest tree, climbing it as fast as my little paws could move.  Down below me I heard laughter.  I sighed.  I had been so close.  It had been right there.  But now here I was with no nuts. 

    Another glance down at the campsite told me that there would be no more chances to get into those nuts.  They were being put safely away.  I narrowed my eyes.  Till next time, humans.

2 comments: