Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Sisters

    “Hannah, please,” I wrung my hands desperately as I looked back at the house.  If my mom heard my little sister’s yells and came out, man, I would get it.  

    My sister opened her mouth even louder and let out another screech.  

    “Come one.  It’s not that bad,” I brushed at her dirty shirt and pants.  How was I suppose to know that she would do something stupid like run down the hill with a bucket of mud.  Well, maybe I could have carried it down for her, but that was beside the point.  “Listen, I’ll take you inside and clean you up and then everything will be alright.”

   She glared at me and wiped a grubby hand across her face.  “It’s your fault!  Mommy!”

    Oh great.  Mom must have heard that one and I know exactly what will happen when mom comes out.  Hannah will blame it all on me.  Perhaps it’s time for Plan B.  I picked up the screaming Hannah and took off for the woods.  How could one be accused of an act if there was no evidence?

    It didn't take long for me to find the creek.  I plopped Hannah down in the middle of it.  The shock of cold water running over her legs made her shut her mouth.  It’s about time. 

    “W-what are you doing?” she watched my hands as they quickly splashed water across her clothing trying to get the dirt to wash off.

    “Cleaning you off, what does it look like?” I snapped.

    “Hannah?  Mary?” my mom’s voice rung through the trees.

    Oh no!  Oh no! 

    “There y’all are, I was looking for y-“ her shocked gaze looked at Hannah and then at me.  “Mary!  What are you doing to your sister?!”

    I pasted an innocent look on my face.  “Cleaning her up.”

    Hannah nodded her little face working its magic. 

    My mom sighed, “There are better ways to do that.  Come on Hannah.  Let’s get you back to the house.”

    Yes!  I felt like doing a dance right there in the creek.

    “And Mary, after I clean Hannah up you will tell me what happened.  What really happened.”  

1 comment: