Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Dawning of Truth--6

    “Excuse me, M’lady.”

    Elise looked up from Sike’s body into the face of a warrior.  That was the only way to describe him.  A scar portrayed itself prominently on one side of his face, yet, it only made him look more rugged and handsome.  His skin was deeply tanned and weathered confirming that most of his time was spent outdoors.  “Yes?” she straightened up wishing she looked a bit more elegant.

    “The king wishes to meet with you.” 

    “Oh, yes, of course.”  As if I am in any condition to meet anyone!  Much less the king!  Her clothes were covered with dirt and blood.  Men’s blood.  Her legs trembled.  The fact that she was carrying a person's life blood around on her clothes made her feel nauseous. 

    The man stepped forwards and grasped her arm.  “Are you alright M’lady?”

    “Yes,” she took a deep breath and smiled stiffly.  “I’m quite ready to see the king now.”

    They began their trek over the once beautiful field.  Where flowers had been there was only blood.  Where grass had grown there were only dead bodies.  She bit her lip.  Think about something else!  “What is your name?”

    “Glorne.  Yours?” he turned his steady gaze on her.

    “Elise.”

    They remained silent until they reached a tight knot of men.  Glorne cleared his throat.  “Your Majesty, may I introduce Elise the leader of the dragons.”

    The men parted until a young man became visible.  Oh my.  He is much younger than I imagined.  She started to bow when he waved his hand, “No need for formalities.  In truth, I should probably be the one bowing to you.”  He stepped closer, exhaustion plain on his face.  “We owe you our lives.”

    Elise managed a small smile.  All she wanted right now was to be in her cave dressed in fresh garments with a bowl of fruit in her lap.  “I am honored that I was able to help.”

    “Will you please walk with me?”

   She hesitated then took the proffered arm.  They walked in silence for a moment before the king continued, “I would very much like for you to return with me to my castle.  Wait,” he held up a finger to keep her from interrupting, “You must understand my amazement seeing those dragons dive out of the sky to our rescue.  Now, while I can’t honor every dragon, I can certainly honor the one who rides with them.  Besides, I would like to know whether you wish to fight with us, or return from where you came from.”

    What would Vaender tell me to do? She sighed, He would tell me to go.  “I would be most honored my king.”

    “Thank you, and please don’t call me my king.  My name is Sondone.  Please use it,” he leaned down and 
kissed her hand.  “We will be leaving within the hour.”

    “Then I must depart and see to the dragons.  I will return shortly.”  She bobbed her head then returned back to the battle field.  A stirring in her palm brought her to a halt.  “Sike!” 

    The little dragon raised his head and looked at her through glazed eyes.

    “Are you alright?”

    “I feel as if every bone in my body were broken.”  He groaned.

    She cuddled him.  “I’ll try to find Loar.”

    A pale flash appeared in her vision.  “Vaender!” relief flooded through her at the sight of the pale dragon.  She ran to him as he landed. 

    He gently nosed her forehead, “Are you alright?”

    “Yes, oh, I need to find Loar.  Sike is hurt and the king wants me to go with him to his castle.  I agreed.  We will be leaving soon.  Did I do the right thing?”

    An odd expression crossed his face.  It was as if he were sad and proud of her at the same time.  “Yes, you did the right thing.  In fact, I had already figured that would happen.  You are a very important person now.  You rule the dragons.”

   “No one rules the dragons.”

   He rolled his eyes, “You and I understand that, but they probably never will.  At least, not for awhile.  They weren't raised by dragons.  Now, as far as Sike is concerned, I know where Loar is.  In fact, she should probably go with you.  By what means are you traveling?”

    “I don’t know.”

    “Well, perhaps you should suggest that dragons be used.”

    Her eyes brightened.  She would greatly prefer that type of transportation than anything else the king could come up with.  “Yes, that’s a wonderful idea.  Can you find Loar while I mention it to him?” 

    Laender nodded and took off into the sky. 

    Sondone was very taken with the idea.  Soon they were both in the air.  She on Laender and he on Vilma.  Loar, another minor dragon, sat on her shoulder while Sike lay cupped closed to her body.  The last of their party was Andreagan who insisted on coming along as well.

    The steady beat of wings soon lulled her weary body to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment