Friday, January 25, 2013

The Adventures of Catherine Cricket #1


 I had originally started writing these as a series of children's stories shortly after Grace visited me recently. They are using a nickname she somehow picked up while down here and an old nickname of mine. I had been planning on writing more and giving them to her for her birthday but I decided I would go ahead and at least post this first one for the challenge. I suppose a cricket counts as an animal.




The Adventures of Catherine Cricket
Catherine Cricket was a beautiful little cricket with a hard brown shell. She lived under a large rock with her two parents and six siblings were sometimes on summer nights she would sing her heart out in her beautiful voice. She had a good friend, who lived in a grass house not too far away, named Liddy Ladybug. She and Catherine liked to play together. One day Liddy told her mother “Mommy, I want to have a tea party. Will you call Catherine’s mother and ask if Catherine can come to it? I would also like to have some other friends like Liddy Locust and Hanny Hopper.” So Catherine was invited to Liddy’s tea party.

As Catherine arrived at the party she found herself feeling rather shy. There was a new girl named Hanny that she didn’t know. After food was passed around by Liddy’s older sister she began to feel more comfortable but when Liddy suggested they play “Musical Tea Pots” she began to feel shy again. She had never heard of the game and was rather scared about trying new games with people she didn’t know. It wasn’t a hard game though and when her mother came to get her she didn’t want to leave. Feeling very prim and stiff she smiled a quiet good bye to Liddy and left.

More Adventures of Catherine Cricket to come!

2 comments:

  1. You didn't mention it was based off of a true story. :) I love it!

    I just realized I could now have three bug names. Catherine Cricket, Katybug, and Katydid. If we ever wanted to change our blogger names and blog we could all have bug names and call the blog "Chirping Crickets" or something else buggy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your right, I didn't mention it was a true story. How did I do telling your perspective? :) Were you really feeling that shy? You did act like it but I'm not always sure when you're feeling shy or when you are simply feeling quiet.

    ReplyDelete