Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Healing


    Tears sprung up in Ann’s eyes as she looked out over the rocky cliffs.  Not even the years of being married had wiped away the memory that here, among the walls of granite, her younger sister had met her death.  She could still see Lizzy’s smiling face as she leapt from one stone to another, her hair flying in the wind, naively not realizing that every step brought her closer to the cliffs edge.  Ann bit her lip.  If only she had bothered to keep a closer eye on her, then she might be here today.  It had only been a slightly loose stone, but that one little jolt had flung Lizzy to the ground and then over the edge into oblivion. 
    “Momma, why you crying?” Pete’s voice broke in, his little pudgy hands clasped about her bigger one. 
    Ann flung her grief back into the little corner of her mind where she kept it.  She could not allow it to control her.  She had a son to love and to care for.  “I’m fine,” she tousled his dark brown hair.  “But it’s time to go now.”
    His face contorted from an angelic being to an angry bear.  “I wanna stay!” he howled.
    “No,” she said firmly, “It’s time to go.”  Pulling the wailing child behind her, she headed to where her husband had parked vehicle.  Her hands quickly buckled Pete in and closed the door.  Suddenly feeling tired she leaned against the car and looked back at the canyon, sorrow once again beginning to consume her.  “Why?” she whispered.  An arm wrapped itself around her shoulders.  She looked up into her husband’s face and tried to smile.
    “You gonna be okay?” he brushed a strand of hair off her forehead.
    She sighed deeply.  “I will be.  It is just so hard to let go,” tears formed in her eyes.
    “I know, baby, I know.”  He wrapped her in a deep warm hug.  After a moment of tender silence, he whispered, “We need to go.  Pete is getting impatient.”  As she buckled her seat belt she set her eyes resolutely on the road in front of her.  I can do this.  I can heal.   

3 comments:

  1. Somehow your stories don't seem to end right. You get me all geared up for a good story about how to heal or a good mystery story and then you are quite suddenly finished. That's tantalizing but also annoying!

    Funny thing-I once wrote a piano song called "The Healing".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry... *sniff sniff* I just pick random names for my stories right before I post them because I don't name them as I write them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't leave me hanging again! :)

    ReplyDelete