Monday, August 27, 2012

The Envelope

     Jennah’s green eyes narrowed as she looked out through the office door into the hallway.  Two men dressed in business suits stood there talking in low voices.  What in the world are they doing?  she thought, her curiosity peaked.  They shook hands then parted ways.  “Hmm,” Jennah looked down at the pile of papers on her desk.  She sometimes wondered if working as a financial advisor was truly worth it.  Maybe it would be easier to find a job somewhere else.  It would most likely improve her income.
    All the sudden, the phone on her desk rung.  “Hello,” she leaned back slightly in her chair and studied a crack in the wall.
    “Ms. Cole?  This is Steven Moore,” a deep voice on the other end said
    “Oh, yes, Mr. Moore.  How can I help you?” she rolled her eyes.  This man was an eccentric customer.  He always called to change his appointment to an hour later than originally planned, and whenever he came, he seemed to talk very little about financial things.  At least she got paid.  That was all she asked.
    “I would like to change my appointment from 4:00 to 5:00.  Can that be arranged?”
   Jennah sighed.  That would be right before closing time, just when she would want to be leaving.  “Yes, that would be fine.”
   “Thank you,” he hung up.
    “You don’t waste words,” she muttered.  Now she had a whole hour to spend doing nothing. 
    Minutes ticked by.  After attempting to do paperwork, she decided to clean out her drawers.  Ten till five a man in a rumpled button up shirt rushed in.  His face was covered with a sheen of sweat.  “I hope you don’t mind me coming early.”  He pulled a hankie out of his pocket and wiped off his face. 
    “No, Mr. Moore, not at all,” she leaned forward and gave him one of her charming smiles, “How may I help you?”
    He glanced hesitantly around then pulled a wrinkled envelope out of his pocket.  “If anything happens to me, they are going to down too,” he hissed, his eyes darting every which way.
    “Sir, I don’t know what you mea-”
    “Here,” he shoved it into her hand, “Take it.”
    He’s going off the deep end.  “What do you expect me to do with it?” she tried to make her voice sound soothing, hoping to calm him down.
    “You’ll know, I promise.”  He stood to his feet.  “I-I need to go.” 
    “Good to see you again,” she held out her hand.
    He shook it then left her office.  “How strange.”  Extremely curious she tore open the envelope and began to read.

    Hopefully the only reason you are reading this is because I am dead or have entrusted it to you.  Most people would not confess to doing what I have done, but because those who helped me are still out there and I want revenge, I am willing to confess.  Two years ago I, and two other men, worked together as spies for another government (one that I will not mention).  We sent them information and got well paid.  We were supposed to work together.  But when I stumbled onto a secret, I knew that I would get a lot of money for, I decided not to tell the other two about it.  Unfortunately, they found out.  Angry they decided to leak what I was doing to the government.  I didn’t get caught, and I got paid for the secret.  Because of that, those two men have been tracking me down for the last two years.  I think they are getting close, and there is nowhere else I can go.  I’m tired of running.  I am only writing this letter so they will go down too.  Enclosed is a picture of them.  Use it how you see fit.

     “Impossible!” Jennah gasped.  With shaking fingers she held up the photo.  “The two men outside my office!”  Suddenly, a gunshot sounded.  Her face blanched.  She lept to her feet and ran to the window.  There he lay, on the sidewalk, dead. 

4 comments:

  1. Is there more to this story?

    One thing I was going to point out is "All of a sudden, the phone on her desk rung." At least to me, (what do you others think?) it sounds a bit over dramatic. If you just said "The phone on her desk rung." it might get the suddenness across with out the dramatic sounding words.

    I don't know, what do the rest of you all think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I partly agree with Hope. In my opinion the phrase "All the sudden" and "Suddenly" get overused, especially in places where they are not needed; but I always struggle with finding a new way to put it.

    Loved your story. I'm a big mystery fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice! That is all that there is of the story. It was meant to be a short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete