Thursday, August 30, 2012

One April Night

This is not one of my best stories by any stretch but  I wanted some feed back on it. So please don't just say "Nice" but give me some real, honest feed back. Thanks!



One April Night
Corporal Pip reigned in his tall bay mare in front of the drive way that led up to the house’s veranda. The stars shining brightly above his head seemed dim compared to the light streaming out from the large bay windows. Strains of pleasant music wafted down towards him on the chill night air carrying with it the happy sound of laughter which was even more pleasant to the weary traveler.

“It looks like a jolly party don’t it, eh laddy?” a Scotchman passing by on a big farm horse asked.

“Yes indeed.” Corporal Pip agreed.

“I recon they be the only ones in this ‘ere neighborhood that’s got enough cheer to have a ball in celebration of the North a‘win’n this ‘ere war. They got a son gone to war but they still find a plenty to be happy about.” The man seemed a bit awed.

“They sent a son to war?” Corporal Pip asked.

“Sure, sure. Ah fine laddy Jimmy was too. They’s all fine children them Strakersons. Maltilda the oldest is vary talented at the organ. Jimmy was toller’ble in the ol banjo.” He paused and then went on reverently “I’ve heard tell though that that Carry the youngest of ‘em could wup ‘em all with her cheller playen. A beauty o’ a young woman she has become too. Grown so much the past five years I bet her brother wont know her when he gets back.”

“Really! Grown from a girl into a woman no doubt?”  Corporal Pip turned back to the window. “Tell me; is she any of the young ladies dancing now? I might just step in and ask for a dance of you say she’s so beautiful.”

The farmer chuckled. “Aye, she’s a rare beauty that lassie.  She is wearing a blue dress or I’ll be switched. She and Matilda alaus wear somat blue to remind them o’ the brother. There she be, the one to the right of the end dancing with the dark haired young man.”

“Sweet girl.” Corporal Pip said watching the young form gently swaying to and fro in time to the music.

“What be ya saying?” the farmer asked. “I’m a bit deaf in my ol ears so ya’ll have to speak kinder loud like.”

“Oh nothing.” Corporal Pip answered loudly. “And the parents, what do they think about their son?”

“Oh their right proud o’ the boy. The lady is always a read’n the newest letter to any company. I’ve heard a few myself. He says he’s doi’n wonderful like. Took part at Gettysburg he did. Poor laddy.” He went on affectionately “I just hope he is none the worse for all he has seen.”

“So am I, for his sisters… and family’s sake.”   Corporal Pip paused. “I did some fighting there. It was a hellish fight though and I am sure that very few soldiers came away without memories they would like to forget.”

“You’re a soldier then too laddy?” The man leaned forward in his saddle peering at Corporal Pip. “I can’t see well in this blackness and couldna’ see yer uniform.”

“Oh there is not much to see, no medals or anything. Just a few little holes made by a bullet nearly hitting home.”  Corporal Pip shifted in the saddle so the wind wasn’t blowing in his face and down his the collar of his buttoned up coat.

“Ah laddy, those are medals in themselves to be worn just as proudly. I would a’ liked to ha’ got me a blue uniform and ha’ a couple o’ holes in it but Uncle Sam wouldn’t ha’ taken one as leathery as me. I did alaus want to be a soldier.” He mused. “Step yer horse a bit nearer laddy and let me look at you uniform a bit more closely.”

“Oh it’s in my saddle bags. At present I thought that it would be safest there. You know there were some confederates that had come up here and were picking up homecoming soldiers.”   He looked away as he said the words.

“That’s a smart laddy. Well I must be off or else me wife will be ater me wi’ a broom for standing in the streets all night ‘flapp’n my tongue’ as she says. Farewell laddy and I hope the lassie Carry gives ya her perty little hand fer a dance er two.” And with a final wave of his hand he galloped off down the road toward his home. In a minute he was back. “I forgot to ask ye, what be your name laddy?”

“Well sir, in the army I was nicknamed Corporal Pip.”

“Well Corporal Pip, I wish ye a goodnight.” And he turned his horse’s head and trotted off down the road again.

Corporal Pip watched him go and then nudged his horse toward the large door. In answer to his knock the butler opened the door and an old servant took his coat and hat off and then led him down a long, thickly carpeted hall and showed him into the illuminated ball room. The light from the twinkling chandeliers almost blinded him after he had been out in the dark. A new dance was about ready to start as he made his way toward the young lady he had been informed was named Carry.

“May I have this dance?” he bowed politely from the waist down.

She gasped and then threw her arms around his neck sobbing, “Jimmy, Jimmy.”

                      
                                          The End

4 comments:

  1. Sweet story! I love the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that is a little better than "nice". :)

      Delete
  2. Nice! Sorry, I couldn't help it! I really like surprise endings like that... I mean, I thought Corporal Pip was a confederate soldier the way he didn't want the guy to see his uniform and whatnot!
    As for other feedback, if you want grammatical feedback, the last sentence of the first paragraph could use a couple commas to make it flow better, I think.
    The only other thing I noticed was that I don't think people in the 1800's would say "Sweet girl."... I kind of think that "sweet" in reference to people is a relatively modern term. But then again, I wasn't born in the 1800's, so I wouldn't know that for sure! =P
    There, I gave ya a little bit more than "nice"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering modern slang, Josie, maybe I should change it.

      Delete