Sunday, August 19, 2012

An Experiment of Readers’ Perspective and Present Tense

Well, I was told that since I was the administrator I had to post first. So here goes for the first post on L.A.R.K.!

Here is a story I wrote a while ago. And just for the record I don't recommend trying readers perspective, no gender and present tense all in the same story! This was hard to write!


An Experiment of Readers’ Perspective and Present Tense

Slowly you reach out a stealthy hand and slip the muffin up your sleeve. When the baker wheezes and turns around you have already moved to the other side of the shop and are innocently examining some half pence rolls.

“Wha’d’ya want!” his squinty pig like eyes glare out of a pudgy face as he props his hands on his filthy aproned hips.

“I just want to by a half pence roll if you please sir.” you cower timidly.

“Where’s your half pence kid! Common show me your brass!” Stepping forward he quickly catches you by one ear and twists it painfully.

You decide that maybe your muffin is enough and struggle to get free. He changes his grip to your grimy coat collar and when he does so you slip out of it and run.

“Stop you little beggar brat! You’ve stolen something I’m sure! Stop I say!” He tries to catch you but finds his belly too much in the way and you escape out the door. Taking to your heals you get out of there and are quickly lost in the London bustle of horse drawn carts and hurrying pedestrians. Looking around to make sure you are not being followed you let the muffin fall out of your sleeve and take large mouthfuls as you head to your own special dark smelly alley. You feel a hand laid lightly on your shoulder and you turn around protesting.

“I hain’t done noffin! Leeme go!”

The mans gentle eyes look at you in sadness from under well brushed hat. His black coat bears no policeman badge and he doesn’t look like any of the rich men you have pickpocketed so you calm down a little.

“I saw you steal that muffin back at the baker’s.” your heart starts pounding again. “Would you like to not have to do that? Would you like to have a roof over your head every night and food in your belly?”

“Oh yes very much sir!” you answer warily. “But they would tell me to go away before I got everything dirty!”

“No they wouldn’t. Not if you were willing to work and study hard. I know a man who would give you all of that if you were willing to try and be good.”

“Oh sir!” your small body quivers in excitement. “Am I ever? I’ll be real good I promise!”

“Well child, let me see what I can do for you. Come with me. We’ll have to take a cab to get there as it is a long ways away.” He pauses and seems to consider something. “First though I want you to do something for me. Take this three pence to the baker whose muffin you stole. Tell him what you did and give him the three pence to pay for it. I’ll be right there with you so don’t be afraid of what he might do. Will you do this for me child?”

Visions of food and a clean bed dance in front of your eyes and you swallow hard and nod your head.

The moment you enter the baker’s shop he jumps up and collars you.

“Please sir!” you whimper and look to the kind gentleman for courage. “I-I stole a muffin from you but I-,” you hold out the three pence, “This is to pay for it.”

“Humph!” He lets go of you and grabbing the three pence shoves you away.

The kind gentleman lays his hand over your shoulders and then gently leads you out and calls a cab.

After a long drive you finally arrive at a large white house.

“This is it. Do you like it?”

You are too delighted to do more than nod your head.

When the kind gentleman knocks on the door a maid answers it and without asking any questions takes you into a spotless waiting room. After a short wait a grey haired man enters.

With a heavy German accent he says, “I hope you will be very happy here. What is your name? Mine is George Muller.”


April 4, 2012

4 comments:

  1. Fun! I love stories from this time period. It does look like it was a little challenging to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! Very fun, as Grace said. And a nice surprise at the end, too! I wasn't expecting that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!

    Do you really think though that a kid would have been picked up and sent to G.M.'s orphanage with that little formality? I don't know but it seems a bit unrealistic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, for one, am not sure if a child would have been sent to G.M.'s orphanage with that little formality. I guess I haven't read much about the process of his orphans coming to his orphanage, so I wouldn't be able to give an informed answer!

    ReplyDelete