Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tip Tuesday - Don't Tell Me

“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” - Anton Chekhov

Anyone can tell a story (okay, not quite everyone) - create a character, put them in a mess, and pull them out. But there is more to the art of writing than just telling a story. The real art of writing, the difference between a good story and a bad story is whether or not you can go beyond simply telling your readers what's going on. 

If I told you my cupcakes were yummy, would you have any reason to believe me? What if I instead let you feel the moist cake with your own fingers, smell the chocolaty spice with your nose, and  lick the sweet, creamy frosting  off the top? Then would you believe me? Chances are you would, and you'd probably want another one too, unless for some odd reason you despise chocolate.


Show, don't tell. It sounds simple, but it is something I continually have to work with as a writer. It's easier to send you a snapshot than to actually take you there, but I know if you can not only see but also touch, hear, taste, and smell, it will be much more memorable. This is my challenge for this week and for always. Get your readers involved in your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment