Sunday, February 10, 2013

The End...And The Beginning


This is my story for the Valentine challenge. It may not be exactly what Hope was looking for, partly since I didn't start out writing this for the challenge.


The End

Black wispy clouds were smeared across the expanse of the night sky. They crept steadily onward over the face of the moon, yet, I felt not a single breath of wind. The air felt heavy and warm, but chills were racing up my spine. On either side of me, the bony branches of naked trees clawed at my T-shirt. It was as if someone had finally discovered life's fast forward button, and the end would pounce upon us any second now. I had always wondered what it would be like when the world ended, but hadn't actually thought I would be there when it happened. I certainly hadn't imagined it like this. Every moment of my life flew before my eyes, and I was forced to wonder whether every choice I made had been the right one.

A flash of red caught my eyes. I peered up into the branches of an ancient elm. There upon one of the lower limbs, pupiless eyes stared from the body of a red bird. The eyes were so small, yet they seemed to draw me into their pools of deep, glowing crimson. I sucked in a deep breath and held it. The chills dancing up my spine increased. A violent shiver shook my small frame. He seemed to know my secret, yet I had only had three witnesses. The ground had drank the blood, the sky had swallowed that silent scream, and the trees concealed the deed. Even if they could form words to tell, not a single one could ever escape from their mute lips. Surely this bird was only mocking my fear.

An hour seemed to pass between that bird and I. Only my pounding heart broke the silence, and the bird's eyes pulsed with every beat. He finally broke the gaze, staring down the dusty lane from which I had come. With a couple gentle flutters from his wings, the bird's feet lifted from the scrawny limb. Releasing a mournful song, he soared off into the distance. I collapsed to the ground gasping for air. Guilt spilled from every pore in my body.

When my pounding heart calmed to a gentle thudding, I dragged my fear-numb body to its feet. Minutes later, I found myself facing the giant doors of my home, but it didn't feel like home. Not now, maybe not ever. It was truly an elaborate mansion, perhaps the grandest in the world, but at the moment the gloomy atmosphere and dark windows caused a haunting effect. I knew it would be no better on the inside. Grasping the shiny metal handle, I pushed open the door. As it swung on its hinges, a deafening creak split the air. My footsteps echoed through the empty halls. I drug myself up the stairs and fully dressed, collapsed onto my bed. The pillows suffocated me, and I willed my hot tears to soak into the cold fabric. I couldn't live another day like this, struggling to suppress my memories; yet the heavy past drug along in chains behind me. Desperately I longed to break the bonds.

I didn't try to sleep, knowing it was impossible. Instead, I counted the ceiling tiles, ten times, then a hundred. I hoped the world would suddenly explode, ending my misery. Loud shrieks pounded against my window. My hand trembled as I lifted the window drapes. A scrawny black bird perched upon the window sill. Bald spots dotted his feathered body, and yellow eyes glowered at me. Its shrieks continued to pierce the air, sending my heart back to its dreadful pounding. I shuddered, and allowed the curtain to slip from my grasp. Stumbling down the stairs, I made my escape to my office. I swiveled from side to side in my desk chair, trying to distract my mind, but the mournful song of the red bird and the shrieks of the black bird mingled with my thoughts. If the world wasn't ending fast enough, I would just take my own life. I jerked open a desk drawer and stared down at the possibility, dressed in cold black and loaded with bullets. Lifting it to my temple, I fingered the trigger. It was either now or never.

Sudden pounding on the front door broke the moment. I put the gun to rest on the desk, wondering who on earth would want to visit miserable me. Despite the possibility of it being another creepy bird, I scrambled for the door. Fumbling with the door handle, I finally managed to jerk the door open. It creaked in protest. I gasped and stood dumbstruck before a figure I was sure was dead. My husband stood staring at me, lips parted, as if he wanted to say something. I searched his eyes, for any glint of malice, but I fell into warm pools of love. For a moment I thought I detected a glint of fear, but it quickly dissipated. I knew I had killed this man. He couldn't be alive. This man who was before me had to be a long lost twin or clone. I had held the very gun that ended his life. My eyes had seen him wallow in his blood and gasp for his last breath, yet, there he stood. Surely it could not be him. Then he spoke:

“Linda...” He hesitantly grabbed my hands. “I forgive you.”

It couldn't be. I knew it just couldn't be. It was impossible, but he had spoken, and I knew his voice. I felt dizzy, faint. “I'm so sorry!” I sputtered. “I'm so sorry!” My knees gave out, and I collapsed into his warm, loving arms.

Then I awoke. Tears were streaming down my face, and my heart beat wildly. I felt different. I felt new. A bird's joyous chorus rang outside my bedroom window. As I pulled back the curtain with shaky hands, light flooded my room. A pure white bird sang happily upon my window sill. His blue eyes were directed towards the heavens, where his notes continued to stream. My heart sang along; and I knew, it was only:
The Beginning

4 comments:

  1. My parents say I need to change this and have her wake up in prison. What do you guys think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...it would probably be more realistic that way, but I think it would be fine either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might be more realistic but I like this ending better. It is happier. :) Who would have ever guessed I would chose a happy ending over a more realistic and more dramatic one?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably won't change it for now then. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete