Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Super Brain!

I know this is a little kid's story but it is pretty much all I've been writing besides Josephine. I actually had to write this for Psychology.




Sarah sat on her doorstep, crying. Her day had been terrible. First she had gotten a big fat F on her math test. She had studied really hard, but when she was given the test, she just couldn't remember anything. Then at recess she tripped and fell into a puddle. All the other kids laughed at her and told her she was clumsy. Sarah tried not to cry, but she couldn't help it. Then the other kids laughed more because they thought she was a crybaby. Sarah never wanted to go back to school. Everyone just thought she was dumb.

Out of the corner of her eye, Sarah suddenly saw the bushes shake. Scared, she jumped off the step. An ugly little creature flew out of the bushes and landed on the sidewalk.

“Hi!” he said.

The little creature looked like something she had seen in her science book. “Who are you?” Sarah asked.

“I am Super Brain!” he replied. “I am here to help you.”

“Help me? How? You're so small!” Sarah exclaimed.

“I may be small, but I'm really smart. I can help you do a lot of things.” Super Brain jumped closer.

What are all those wormy things on your face?” Sarah asked.

Super Brain laughed. “Those are called convolutions. They make up my outer layer called the cortex. My cortex is divided up into sections called lobes. This very back lobe is called the Occipital lobe. It is what I use to help people see.”

“Wow! What do the other lobes do?” Sarah was beginning to like Super Brain, even if he was a little ugly.

Super Brain pointed to the next lobe. “This one is called the parietal lobe. It helps people feel things like pain and cold or hot.” He then pointed to his sides. “These ones are called Temporal lobes, and they help people hear. This last one, called the frontal lobe, helps people with things like talking, math, and science.”

“Do you do anything else?” Sarah asked.

“Yep! There is a lot more that I can do,” Super Brain replied. “I can also be divided into two sides called hemispheres. My right side controls things like emotions and artistic and musical skills. The left side is the logical side. It likes things like math and science and also helps with speech.” Super Brain then pointed to his middle. “Inside me, my corpus callosum hold the two sides together. Together, they make up the cerebrum. Some other parts of me include the Thalamus, Hypothalamus, and Hippocampus.”

Sarah giggled. “Is that for hippos?”

Super Brain laughed. “No, that is the part of me that stores short term memories, changing them into long-term memories, so you don't ever forget.”

“Oh,” Sarah laughed.

“The thalamus is kind of like a policeman directing traffic. It makes sure all my important information gets to the right place and back. The hypothalamus can control things like thirst and hunger,” Super Brain finished.

Sarah's stomach growled. “I think I'm hungry right now.” She needed to go eat supper, but she saw one more thing she wanted to know about. “What is that on your back?” she asked Super Brain.

“That is called a brainstem. Part of the brainstem, called the medulla, controls things like heartbeat and breathing. This other part back her is called the cerebellum, and it helps with things like keeping your balance while riding your bike or dancing.”

“Wow, Super Brain, you are really amazing!” Sarah exclaimed.

Super Brain winked. “God made me amazing, Sarah!”


The next day at school, Sarah wasn't afraid of having a terrible day. She knew Super Brain would help her, and she would do better. When she sat down to take another test, she heard him whisper, “You can do it, Sarah!”

1 comment:

  1. Yummy...the idea of a brain hopping around and talking to me is...a comforting thought.

    ReplyDelete