Thursday, June 27, 2013

Where Fire Blazes - Part 4

Sorry, this is getting extremely long, and it's still not finished! To read the previous parts to this story, click on the links below:


Oh, and just a quick note: The word "sum" that I use in the story is actually the Latin verb for "I am." In this case, I'm using it as a name.




I rolled onto my back and let out a long sigh. The air smelled fresh and clean, and not a single cloud dotted the clear blue sky. After rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I groggily sat up, a thick mantle falling from my shoulders. I caught brief hint of its smell, a strong mix of earth and sweat. Gagging, I threw the mantle off and stumbled to my feet. My foot collided with an empty bowl. It wobbled and rolled a small distance before settling near the ashes of a dying fire. Oh no, it couldn't be! How in all Learsi did I end up back at Hajile's camp? I glanced at the opposite side of the fire where Hajile had sat the night before. No sign of the strange man. Had he found me and brought me back? Or did I actually never leave the camp? I ran my fingers through my greasy hair, trying to decide whether or not to run. Hajile's warning about the Ring of Fire rushed back to my head. Perhaps it wasn't a wise idea to go chasing after my brother's captors, especially alone. Hajile must know more about this group. Maybe, just maybe he would help me. He seemed to care, but the idea of spending any more time with the filthy man did not have much appeal either.

My stomach growled. I kicked the dusty bowl into the fire. I'd never gotten the chance to finish my soup last night. My bag of belongings were nowhere to be seen. Perhaps when I made my run for the woods I had dropped it, but surely this man had more food somewhere. A small bag next to a rolled up mat caught my attention. I pulled it open and rummaged through its meager contents: a few coins, a water canteen, a rotting potato, and crumbling bread. Was this all the man had? I slipped the coins into my pocket and nibbled on the dry bread. It would have to do for now.
“Repent!” A deep voice boomed. I jumped and swung around, dropping my stolen morsel in the process. “Your sin is great!” The voice continued. “But if you repent wholeheartedly the Lord's wrath will be turned away, and he will bless you.”

My whole body shook with guilt and fear, and my heart thumped hard within my chest. I looked up towards the road and saw Hajile standing in the middle, but his gaze was not directed towards me. Relief flooded my body. His preaching was directed toward a passerby on the road, not me. Men, women, and their animals skirted around him, ignoring his commanding words and condemning stare. As a group of horsemen approached, Hajile stepped towards them, his arms outstretched. “Listen,” his voice boomed again, “A day will come when the Lord will punish Airamas for its wickedness, so repent!”

The knights atop the horses neither slowed their pace or appeared to see the crazy man in their road. The horses hooves thundered towards Hajile. Then I couldn't see him amidst the dust, hooves, and flashing armor. When the knights finally passed and the dust began to settle, Hajile's still form lay in the middle of the road. Despite his apparent craziness, my heart went out to him. I ran for the road. As I approached, another man also hurried towards Hajile's still form. “Yes!” I thought to myself. “At least there is one kind soul in Learsi.” But to my disappointment, the man stepped over Hajile and continued on his way.

“Why..how... how could you...” I wanted to yell at the man to repent, but I choked back my angry words, remembering the stolen coins jingling in my pocket. The stranger briefly turned and stared at me, eyebrows raised. I ignored him and knelt at Hajile's side.

♥♥♥

Hajile lay on his mat, his face and arms bruised and scratched; but he was alive. Neither of us had spoken as I helped him back to his camp, yet I believed he was grateful. That twinkle in his eyes seemed to express it. How he had managed to keep that twinkle after such a beating, I could not understand. He still smiled too, as if almost being trampled to death by horses was an every day occurrence. Maybe it was. Hajile still reeked too. How on earth did this man live with himself? It was no wonder he didn't have friends; but perhaps if he could get used to the smell, maybe I could too. I desperately needed his help, and at the moment he needed mine.

“So you decided to stay,” he finally croaked.

“Did I have a choice?” I fired back.

Hajile chuckled. “Did you want me to leave you laying in the forest for the dragons to munch on?”

“Dragons? Here, in Learsi?”

“That's what I said.”

“I don't believe you.” I folded my arms across my chest.

Hajile tilted his head to the side and raised his eyebrows. “You really don't know anything about the Ring of Fire, do you?”

I shook my head.

“Hmmm...” Hajile frowned. At first I was afraid he would become angry like last night, but he just lay silently on his mat. “Where do you live?” he finally asked.

“A farm...not too far from here. Several miles at least; but I'm not going to live there any more.” I choked back tears.

“Why is that, Dear. Tell me what's wrong. What happened?” Hajile's face was solemn, but his concern seemed sincere.

“My new parents...and my brother...the Ring of Fire...” Tears pooled in my eyes and spilled down my cheeks. “They murdered them, and I think they stole my brother.” I shook my head, as if trying to shake off the sorrow and pain. “B-but what does this have to do with the dragons?” I asked, trying to change the subject.

Hajile laid his hand on my shoulder. “The dragons were brought here by a group of new priests, called the Ring of Fire, whom Lady Isabelle brought with her when she married our King Adar. The Ring of Fire serves Laab, the supposed “god” of fire, and dragons are sacred to him. Unfortunately these priests perform special sacrifices that require the shedding of human blood. I fear your family may have been victims of one of those horrid sacrifices.”

“But why?” I sobbed. “Why my family?”

“Your family has not been the only one to suffer. Many families have been broken up this way, including mine.” A far away look replaced the twinkle in Hajile's eyes.

“Yours?”

A tear rolled down the man's cheek. “My wife and children...th-they...”

I grabbed Hajile's hand and squeezed. “It's okay. You don't have to finish. I understand.” My own tears still soaked my cheeks.

“Leah...She would have been about your age if she were still alive.” Hajile forced a smile. “She had dark curls like yours. Benjamin loved his sister. He would have done anything for her.” Hajile wiped away his tears. “And my wife...She was the most amazing person in the world.” The far away look returned to his eyes. This time I didn't bother him...at least for a little while. I still had lots of questions tumbling around in my head.

“Hajile?”

“Yes?”

“If the Queen's priests are so bad, why doesn't the King get rid of them?”

“The King is deceived, like most everyone else in Airamas. When the priests first arrived, they seemed perfectly harmless. Most people laughed at their peculiar worship practices, yet a few found them appealing. Soon the number of priests doubled, and their number continued to grow. Eventually the King also became a member. As the hearts of the people were won, the priests practices grew from odd to horrendous. They began to demand the sacrifice of human blood. When the King and the people protested, the dragons appeared in the surrounding woods, the priests claiming they were a punishment from Laab. Filled with fear and not wanting to lose the pleasures they believed Laab bestowed upon them, the people agreed. Now human sacrifice is common place. The one and only true Lord, Sum, is displeased with the actions of his people, and he has called me as his prophet to warn the people of his coming wrath.”

“That is what you were doing earlier?” I asked.

Hajile nodded. “But the people ignore. I wonder how long it will be before the Lord's patience wears out.”

My head felt like it would explode with all its new information. I wanted to know more about this Sum whom Hajile referred to as Lord and how he knew he was the only true God. What if Laab was actually the only true lord instead? Perhaps it was his eyes I felt that day as I had left my house. Whatever the case, I couldn't ask Hajile anymore questions at the moment. A gentle snore broke the silence. Perhaps I would go for a walk, but not too far. I didn't want to run into any dragons.

I gazed at the mountains in the distance as I wandered into the valley. The morning was still peaceful, but my heart was caught in turmoil. Then it returned: that cold, tickling feeling of someone watching my every move. I could almost feel them breathing down my back. Thump, thump, thump! A steady beating reached my ears. I looked up, and my heart froze mid-beat. A set of sharp, black claws dove for my head, and I screamed.






No comments:

Post a Comment