Friday, November 9, 2012

Escaping the Night - Part 1

I know this is the same thing I just posted on my blog, but it's what I've been working on most recently. I have no idea where it is going. By the way, the main character was inspired by a nickname I somehow earned while I was at Hope's. Please tell me if my conversation sounds cheesy. Also, I didn't really point this out in my last story that I wrote, but I thought maybe I should clarify. In my little book world I've created, Sum is what my characters call God. Sum is the Latin verb for "I am." Also, Filius is what I'm using as the name for Jesus at the moment, and it just means "son." Okay, I'll let you read the story now.


Catherine stood on the bank, watching the rushing river gush out of the mountain side. It was said that once a mighty prophet had struck the mountain in his anger. A river had exploded out of the mountain side, sweeping away a throng of complaining followers. No man had ever been able to cross the wide river that had been created. Building a bridge would be impossible and swimming meant certain death, but Catherine intended to be the first to cross alive. She didn't have a choice. Freedom depended on it. She took one last look at the roaring water. Taking a deep breath, she retreated several steps back and then ran forward with all her might. She was going to leave the Dark Land forever, along with all its painful memories. Catherine's feet left the ground and she flew through the air towards the opposite bank. The ground returned sooner than expected, her momentum causing her to tumble across the ground. Her head smacked against a tree, and pain overcame her senses. Her surroundings blurred before going completely black.

“Are you okay?” a young voice questioned. Catherine slowly opened her eyes, trying to remember where she was. A headache pounded her skull, but she had made it! She was free! The sun peeked through the forest's canopy, illuminating a girl about her age leaning over her. Her fiery orange eyes were filled with curiosity, and auburn curls cascaded down her shoulders.

“I'm fine.” Catherine pushed herself to her feet. Dizziness instantly blurred her vision. The girl reached out to steady her, but Catherine shoved her away. “I'm okay, really.”

Her new companion crossed her arms and watched with twinkling eyes. “Are you sure? Blood is running down your forehead, and you can hardly stand by yourself.”

Catherine leaned against the tree to steady herself. She felt the warm blood trickling down her face, but ignored it. “It doesn't bother me.”

“That was a pretty big jump. I've never seen anyone cross that river before. How did you do it?”

“It's my ability gem,” Catherine replied. She slipped the chain off from around her neck and swung the medallion in the awed girl's face.

“You mean your gift stone.”

“No, ability gem. Nobody gave it to me,” Catherine retorted.

The girl shook her head. “Sum gives us all our abilities.”

Catherine rolled her eyes. “Whatever.” She crossed her arms to match the fiery girl's stance. “So who are you anyways?”

“My name's Ember.” She extended her hand. A wide smile spread across her face.

Disgusting smile, Cricket thought. These Ruby Barbarians are weaklings. At least they are free from the Empress. She ignored Ember's outstretched hand. “I'm Catherine Campbell Corrie of Midnight's Claw, daughter of Clifton Clark Corrie, master of...”

“Midnight's Claw? What's that?”

Catherine sighed. “Oh, never mind! Do you have any gift stones?” She eyed Ember's clothing, searching for a necklace, ring, or belt that might hold one. She wore a bright red dress with bell sleeves and gold trim, but she saw no sign of a gift stone.

“Aye, but I'd rather not show mine right now if you don't mind.”

“Why not?”

“It's kind of hard to explain...” Ember uneasily examined her bare feet. “Would you like to meet my family?” She said, changing the subject. I assume you're not going to jump back over that river.”

“I'm never going back there.”

“Good.” Ember turned to leave. “Follow me. We need to do something about your head.”

Catherine hesitated. Could she trust Ember?

“Come on, Cricket!” Ember ran towards a path in the woods.

“My name's not Cricket!”

“Cathy? Whatever! Just come on!” She motioned wildly.

Catherine sighed. “Okay, okay. Don't fall apart. I'm coming. And it's Catherine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment