Monday, November 12, 2012

Escaping the Night - Part 2

Catherine silently followed Ember down the small dirt path deep into the forest. Sharp whistled notes suddenly pierced the air with a short melody. A winged creature swooped out of a nearby tree and flew towards the girls. Catherine shrieked and ducked. Ember burst into giggles.

“It's just a bird, Silly.” She pointed to the branch where the creature now rested. The bird burst into song, repeating the joyous melody. It seemed to direct its song at Catherine, mocking her fear.

“A b-bird?” stuttered Catherine trying to recover.

“Don't tell me you've never seen a bird.” Ember stared at her in disbelief. Her wide, orange glowing eyes made Catherine suddenly feel warm, or was it just embarrassment? Her father would be ashamed of her for showing such weakness in front of a Rubian.

“We don't have birds in the Dark Land. Just bats.”

“Really? That's odd. We have birds all over. In fact, our country was named after that bird.” Ember motioned towards the still singing bird. “It's called a Ruby-bellied Minstrel. I love its song.” She sighed and paused to listen. The bird fluffed the feathers on its red belly in pride.

“I wish it would shut up,” Catherine grumbled.

“But its song is so pretty!” Ember protested.

“I think the word annoying would be more fitting.” She stooped down and snatched a small stone.

“No!” Ember cried out. She grabbed Catherine's forearms. “You can't do that!”

Catherine shoved her to the ground. Ember landed hard on her bottom in the dirt path. Startled by the commotion, the bird let out a frightened call and flew away. Catherine cursed and hurled the pebble at Ember. The girl's arms flew up to shield her face. The pebble bounced harmlessly off her elbow, dropping into her lap. Ember lowered her arms and scowled. Enjoying the girl's anger, Catherine laughed.

“It's not fun-”

“What's going on here?” A young man's voice cut Ember short. He walked towards the girls, his long strides quickly carrying him to Ember's side. After helping her up, he glanced at Catherine, but quickly averted his gaze.

“Cricket, this is my brother, Aaron,” Ember introduced him. “Aaron, this is Cricket.”

Catherine cleared her throat. “It's Catherine.”

“Hi.” Aaron smiled. He briefly lifted his eyes to hers; but they quickly found their way back to his dust-covered boots, his face turning the color of his bright colored hair.

“What's wrong?” Catherine demanded.

Aaron said nothing, his face redder than a ripe tomato. “It's your clothing, Cricket,” Ember explained. Catherine's eyes flew to her tight-fitting black shirt, pants, and boots. Puzzled she looked to Ember for more explanation. “It's considered inappropriate for women to wear pants here. We all wear skirts or dresses.”
“Why didn't you tell me before I agreed to come home with you?” Catherine questioned critically.

“Well, I was hoping the men would still be working in the orchards when we got there. Then you could have changed into one of my dresses. I didn't want to offend you.”

Catherine was just about to spit out a fiery response, but Aaron interrupted. “Ember, Lord Gem and his wife are at home hoping to visit with you.”

Ember groaned. “Did Becca come also?” she asked hopefully. “She is the only one who makes their visits bearable.”

“Aye, she is awaiting you anxiously.”

Ember grabbed Aaron's arm. “Tell them I'll be home shortly, but could you please send Amy to me with a clean dress for Cricket and a pair of my shoes? The Lord and Lady would be horrified if I showed up without shoes.” She giggled and wiggled her bare toes. “Perhaps they would even change their minds and allow me to marry who I wish.”

“Perhaps.” Aaron laughed. “But Mother and Father would be disappointed.”

Ember sighed. “I know.” Her eyes lost their fiery joy for a moment.

“I better go.” Aaron gave her a reassuring hug before turning to leave. Catherine watched him go, envy rising in her chest. She tried to ignore it, but she would never have a family member who would treat her in such a loving way. In the Dark Land, deep love was frowned upon.

“My little sister should be here soon with a dress for you.” Ember woke Catherine from her dreaming.

“I will not wear a dress,” Catherine protested. “If you want me to meet your family, they will have to accept me as I am.”

“My Father won't let you in the house dressed like that.” She motioned to Catherine's attire.

“Oh fine, but I'm not staying long.”

“Where else will you go?” Ember questioned.

“Someplace where the people aren't so weird.”

Ember laughed. “Good luck. You're the weird one.”
It was not long before Amy arrived with her little bundle. She looked a lot like her sister, but her hair was darker and her eyes sparkled lavender. “What's up with these colored eyes?” Catherine thought. She tried to remember what color Aaron's eyes were, but failed. Grudgingly she accepted the dress from the younger girl. Catherine quickly stepped into the shadows of the trees to change. Having never worn a dress in her life, it felt foreign and confining. The dress was a deep green with tiny white flowers decorating the trim and annoying bell sleeves like Ember's. The dress was also a tiny bit big for her small frame, but at least it was not a bright color like Ember's. Catherine left her old clothing there in the trees, knowing she would soon be back for them.

Ember nodded approvingly when Catherine rejoined the girls on the path. Amy looked at her curiously. “What did you do to your head?” she asked.

“I hit it on a tree.”

“Oh dear, I forgot all about that.” Ember frowned. “I guess we'll have to wash your head when we get home, but the Lord and Lady will be appalled.”

“What is so important about this Lord and Lady that I shouldn't offend them?” Catherine asked.

“They own all of this land along the river. My father oversees his orchards, and I am engaged to their son.”

“Do you want to be?”

“No. I've never even met him. He is overseas, representing Ruby in the peace conference in Lazes.”

“Then why must you marry him?”

“Lord and Lady Gem will threaten my Father's job if I refuse. Besides, my parents are pleased with the arrangement.”

“Don't worry about your parents, Ember!” Catherine protested. “This is your life! They can't choose how you live it.”

Tears flowed down Ember's cheeks. “You don't understand! I can't ruin someone else's life just because I want to live mine a certain way. It would dishonor Sum and the love he has showed me. As He has loved, so I must love, even if it means sacrifice.”

“You say Sum loves you! How can you say that when he puts you in such a position? Is that love? Causing you to do something that brings you pain?”

“True love doesn't promise zero pain or my heart's desires. It promises that He will do what is best for me, even if it does bring a little pain. I trust Sum to work everything out, because all things work together for the good of those who love Him. If Sum truly does not want me to marry him, He will provide a way out; but for all I know, the Lord and Lady's son may be the best husband I could ever have.” Ember wiped away her tears. Amy also sniffled nearby,  feeling deeply for her sister.

Catherine was shocked by Ember's determination. What would Ember say if she knew the past choices that Catherine had made? She pushed the uncomfortable thoughts away. There would be no living in the past. She had a new life to live now. Catherine had made her decisions, and Ember had made hers.

“Oh dear, I probably look terrible now,” Ember said, rubbing her red, swollen eyes.

“I'm sorry I caused you to cry,” Catherine whispered. “Oh Dear, was that apology that just slipped from my lips?” She shuddered inwardly.

Ember smiled, and her eyes filled with their joyous fire again. “My problems aren't your fault, Cricket. Don't worry about it.”

“We better go,” Amy urged.

“Yes, we better,” Ember agreed. She grasped Amy's hand and turned to leave. Catherine followed, feeling more out of place than ever.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! The character is nothing like you--except it shares the same nickname. ;)

    ReplyDelete